“And it is He who makes the gardens trellised and not trellised, palm trees, diverse crops, sorts, and olives and pomegranates similar (shape and color) and not the same (it seems) Eat of the fruit (a variety of it) when fruiting. And pay their due (zakat) on the pick. ” (Q S, 6: 141).
The Hadith: From Jabir, the Prophet said:
“Which is irrigated by rivers and rain is 10% while irrigated with irrigation is 5%”. And based on the revenue consensus of scholars.
Nishab and The Rates
From Jabir, Prophet had said, “it is not obliged to pay zakat on a date that is less than 5 ausuqâ” (HR Muslim).
- From this hadith explained that the agricultural zakat measurement is 5 ausuq;
- Ausuq is plural of wasaq, 1 wasaq = 60 sha ‘, while one sha’ = 2.176 kg, then 5 wasaq is 5 x 60 x 2.176 = 652.8 kg.
The rate of zakat that must be paid:
- 10% if it’s watered by rain or river jika diairi oleh hujan atau sungai 10 %, dan
- 5% it it’s watered by irrigation
The zakat of agriculture is be paid when the farmer receives the harvest.
- All owned
- Reaches the nishab
- The crop is the staple food that can be retained for long.
- The crop is the result of human effort and did not grow itself as it grows wild, swept away by the water and so on.
Nishab of The Unmeasured Crops
- Nishab 5 ausuq is for the crops that can be measured by the dose.
- And for the crops that can not be measured, according to Dr. Yusuf Qordhowi, the nishab is equal to the value of 653 kilos of valuable crops (such as rice or wheat).